In order to better maintain our technology infrastructure, we’re looking to bring on some additional volunteers with specific skillsets. Upon request, we’ll work with a university or other body to structure these as unpaid internships, and I’ll happily provide a glowing professional reference for anyone who executes these taskseffectively and reliably. They’re also worth national prestige.
OPENING ONE: Linux Sysadmin
This is a permanent addition to our server management team to assist in maintaining our growing collection of servers (eight EC2 instances so far). You would be responsible for deploying new software packages, updating existing packages, and configuration of all of the above. Your participation would also be expected when making decisions on how to structure our infrastructure, which software packages to choose, and other general technology and configuration choices.
- Very familiar with Linux administration, including some knowledge of current industry best practices
- Knowledge of what all these mean, and experience with at least a few of them: AWS EC2, WordPress, Mediawiki, MySQL, PHP, GIT, Mailman, sendmail, DKIM, SPF, Python, LDAP
- High availability for time-critical events in the unlikely event of a server failure
- At least 10 hours per month to devote to updating servers, deploying packages, and managing configurations
OPENING TWO: DKIM Expert
This is expected to be a short-term position to complete a single project, hopefully lasting only a few weeks (if that), though additional opportunities will be available to an applicant who executes this project well and has additional skills and ongoing availability. You would be responsible for making DKIM work properly on our mail server.
- Expertise installing a DKIM milter on sendmail along with all other associated setup and configuration
OPENING THREE: Mailman Scripting
This is a limited-term position to complete a specific series of projects, hopefully lasting 2-4 months, though additional opportunities will be available to an applicant who executes this project well and has additional skills and ongoing availability. You would be responsible for creating scripts to simplify management of Mailman list configuration, as well as provide an API to automate list subscriptions through the new member portal.
- Familiar with Mailman configuration and administration in general
- Strong knowledge of Python scripting, particularly in a Mailman context
- Understanding of simple Linux commands
Please read these instructions closely, as your ability to follow them will be a factor in hiring decisions. To apply, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with a subject line that contains one or more of the job titles above (Linux Sysadmin, DKIM Expert, or Mailman Scripting). Include in the body of the email a short (less than ~200 words) summary of your qualifications for the position. Attach or include a resume or any other relevant information that helps convince me that your summary is legit, whether Cam-related or not.
These volunteer positions are available to members regardless of affiliate or Camarilla-specific experience. I don’t care if you joined the club yesterday from Mongolia – if you have the technical skills, I encourage you to apply. Feel free to fire any questions to me directly, or to the tech-general mailing list.